Spousal Support Attorneys in Oxnard, California
At the Land Legal Group, our Oxnard spousal support attorneys know that simply because California allows alimony to be awarded during and after a divorce does not mean everyone is eligible to receive financial support.
Spousal support, alimony, or spousal maintenance are all terms that reflect payments made by one spouse to another in the wake of a divorce settlement. These payments are meant to help former spouses maintain the standard of living to which they have grown accustomed during the marriage after the relationship is over.
No matter which side of the divorce you are on, our Ventura County alimony attorneys can help you understand the multiple reasons why these payments are awarded, your eligibility to receive them, or your argument to oppose them.
What Marital Factors Impact the Amount and Duration of an Alimony Award in California?
Before the California family courts will award spousal support to one party, they will review the combined factors of the marriage.
Those details may include, but are not limited to:
- The length of the marriage.
- The age of each spouse.
- The wellness of each spouse.
- The education or training of the receiving spouse, or his/her need for additional skills.
- The recipient’s ability to put their marketable skills to use in the workforce.
- Whether the receiving spouse’s earning capacity was diminished while caring for the children/home.
- The recipient’s ability to be gainfully employed.
- Whether the recipient contributed to the payer’s education, professional license, or career.
- Each spouse’s needs, based on the standard of living they had during the marriage.
- The supporting spouse’s ability to pay alimony.
- Any financial obligations, debts, or assets the spouses share.
- Any separate property that did not factor into the divorce proceedings.
- The tax consequences of spousal support.
The California family law judge may review any factors they deem important to award spousal support to one party during a legal separation or divorce in California. We can help you understand the best argument for or against spousal support, depending on your position during your legal proceedings.
What Type of Spousal Support is Available After a California Divorce?
Multiple types of spousal support can be awarded during a California divorce based on one spouse’s financial needs, and how long he or she needs financial support.
Once the factors are reviewed, spousal support may be awarded:
- As part of a Property Distribution Agreement.
- In a Lump-Sum.
We can help you understand your legal rights and options to pursue the best outcome for your financial needs, no matter which side of the divorce you are on.
Contact Our Trusted Spousal Support Attorneys in Oxnard, California for Help
At the Land Legal Group, our spousal support attorneys represent clients throughout California on both sides of the financial award argument. We understand the details and requirements necessary to achieve success in a spousal support case by calling (805) 696-2160 today, or by scheduling a free case assessment online.
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Children’s Law
- Dependency Law
- Domestic Violence
- Father’s Rights
- Grandparents’ Rights
- Prenuptial Agreement